>IGtk3Agg should work in you use cairocffi instead of py(2/3)cairo. AFAIK
py(2/3)cairo is more or less
> unmaintained these days and that function has never been implemented in a
> released version.

Yes you're right. This does work. However you need to do the following
steps:

Run: pip install cairocffi
Copy: C:\Python34\Lib\site-packages\gnome\libcairo-gobject-2.dll to
C:\Python34
Rename: libcairo-gobject-2.dll to libcairo-2.dll

Then in the python code, change the back-ends line to:
from matplotlib.backends.backend_gtk3agg import FigureCanvasGTK3Agg as
FigureCanvas

Incidentally, if you're trying the script, modify the line from the first
script example I sent -- the second has a horrible threads issue (due to the
missing call to threads_init).

Regards

David