You do not *need* to multiply the generation, but if you don’t then all of the
additional generation, as you increase load, will come from the slack
generator. Scaling the other generators is simply a more uniform way to handle
the additional load.

Lambda is the continuation parameter and is proportional to the power. Lambda =
0 means you are at the base loading level and Lambda = 1 means you are at the
target loading level. See equations (5.3) and (5.4) in the User’s Manual
<http://www.pserc.cornell.edu/matpower/manual.pdf> for the details.

    Ray