Dear all,
I would like to understand several points about modeling dispatchable load in
matpower. I have read section 6.4.2 and i would like to understand how the
dispatchable load works in the context of its modelling.
1) If we have negative power injection with a negative cost. My understanding
is that it will show at the end as a net added cost since we are multiplying
two negatives?! In this case, i assume, if we want to dispatch a load, it has
to have a cost that is cheaper than the current cost of operating the most
expensive generator or at least cheaper than the set LMP price at its location.
I would like to ensure proper understanding or more clarification about that.
If my understanding is wrong, then i have an issue of why not running all
dispatchable load since they will reduce the total cost of the system. They are
negative!

2) If i model a demand-responding facility that has both a load and generation.
Based on the price, it will bid either negative or positive injection. Positive
mean net export to the system and negative means net import from the system.
What is the best way of modelling that? What i did is that, i had my own profit
maximization algorithm for the facility that provides the net injected power at
each price, so i can create my bid function. From that, i have started from the
highest expected price and calculated the associated cost by multiplying my
power by the price. So, for each change in power, i calculated a change in cost
as explained, then i started from the highest price to calculate the cumulative
power and cumulative cost to create the total cost function for the load. In
this case, how should this be handled when the net injection is positive? I do
believe that i should not use a negative cost anymore. I need someone to
comment on my method to ensure i am not making assumptions that are different
from matpower assumptions for modeling. My curve for the negative injection
(load) is convex so far but the positive injection is still confusing to me
using dispatchable load assumption.
3) The last paragraph in that section states that " it should be noted that,
with the definition of dispatchable loads as negative generators, if the
negative cost corresponds to a benefit for consumption, minimizing the cost
f(x) of generation is equivalent to maximizing social welfare". What do that
statement mean? does it mean minimizing negative cost means maximizing total
benefit which social welfare or is it just using the definition of social
welfare which is worth minus cost and minimizing cost means maximizing SW.
Thanks for your time and effort in trying to answer my questions and clarifying
the points raised.
Kindly,Mans