Dear all,
I am working on optimal power flow whose objective is the cost of generation
plus the quadratic deviation of voltage magnitudes to 1.0.  The special
part of the optimization lies in it that it has to include shunt capacitors and
reactors in this network apart from conventional generators, which can control
reactive power and voltages. In this network, the capacitors and reactors are
modelled as discrete constant reactive power loads, whose values are like 0,
-6MVar, -12MVar, -18MVar, etc.  I think a practical implementation is to
take these shunt capacitors as a bunch of generators whose active power
generation is set to 0 and reactive power generation set to constant values.
Say, a chain of 6*6MVar shunt capacitors at one bus can be viewed as 6
generators at this bus whose active gen is 0 and reactive gen is 6MVar. On my
opinion, these shunt capacitor or reactor generators should not change their
active and reactive generation in OPF but only decide which generators should
be on, just like unit commitment, while other conventional generators will
change their active and reactive generation continously as conventional OPF. I
dont know if it is practical using matpower. Despite the miqps_matpower
function and the new-released mp-opt-model, it seems that no one has done so
ever. Would you please help me with it? Thank you for you kind patience and
consideration.