I'm a bit confused by the new nifty settings that you've just
suggested, and by the MAUI/TORQUE relationship with it. Maybe I should
expand my question:

We have one MAUI/Torque server with 3 queues. The user groups have a
MAXPROC soft/hard values (according to our usage policy). Is the
following configuration suggested?  -

In qmgr :
* unset the resources_max.ncpus from both server and queue levels
* unset the resources_default.ncpus from both server and queue levels
* should I make sure any other settings are unset?

In qsub:
* Ask the users that needs 4 processors on the same node to use the
nodes=1:ppn=4 (instead of "NCPUS=4)

Question is:
If I remove the resources_max.ncpus from the queue level - how will
MAUI/PBS know how much procs does the entire cluster has? Should I set
it somewhere else not mentioned here?