-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Todd O'Bryan
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 12:20 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Mav-user] Eclipse, log4j, etc.

I removed commons-beanutils.jar from the Tomcat classpath (which you
can set in Eclipse using the Preferences pane) and was able to compile.

It also then ran the Log4jInit code someone suggested I create...of
course, only after producing the warnings that code was meant to stop
from appearing in the first place.

And now I can compile, but I get the same NoClassDefFoundError in my
webapp when I try to access that page.

If ever there was a need for a better mousetrap, we're seeing it...

Todd

On Feb 10, 2004, at 4:13 AM, Yurii Urazlin wrote:

>>> AFAICS, Tomcat (at least 4.1.18) has its own commons-beanutils.jar
in

>>> its server/lib. It could conflict with the one you added to Tomcat
>>> classpath.
>
>> The jars in Tomcat's server/lib directory are not visible from
> webapps.
>> However, the jars in common/lib and shared/lib are.
>

> That's it. But exception is thrown by Catalina itself, and not a
> webapp.
>

> So if this: "add commons-beanutils.jar ... to the Tomcat classpath"
> means adding commons-beanutils.jar to CLASSPATH in catalina.bat, or
> changing CLASSPATH environment variable, or smth similar, a conflict
> could be the case. However exception is strange, and the reason could

> be
> anything else.
>
> exception from Todd's letter:
> --------------------
> Catalina.start: java.lang.NullPointerException
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>       at
> org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.createSAXException(Digester.java:
> 2540)
>       at
> org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.createSAXException(Digester.java:
> 2566)
>       at
> org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.endElement(Digester.java:1061)
>       at
> org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.endElement(Unknown
> Source)
>       at

org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractXMLDocumentParser.emptyElement(Unknow
>   Source)
>       at

org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(
> nknown Source)
>       at

org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDi
> patcher.dispatch(Unknown Source)
>       at

org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unkn
> wn Source)
>       at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown
> Source)
>       at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DTDConfiguration.parse(Unknown
> Source)
>       at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
>       at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown
> Source)
>       at
> org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1548)
>       at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:449)
>       at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:400)
>       at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
>       at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
>       at

sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.ja
> a:39)
>       at

sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccesso