Made a blog post with the full set of steps to use a MySQL container with
the Mayan
container: http://www.mayan-edms.org/post/deploy-mayan-docker-mysql/

In summary you are configuring the Mayan container but are not launching a
separate MySQL container.

I tried to explain as much as possible in the post starting with some
Docker basics. Hope you enjoy it and helps you.

On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 11:51:24 AM UTC-4, Mark Phillips wrote:

> Regarding environment variables, I tried to install mayan 2.6.1 two ways,
> and cannot get it to work. I am trying to use docker to create mayan 2.6.1
> with mysql as per the instructions -
> https://gitlab.com/mayan-edms/mayan-edms-docker/tree/2.6.1.
>
> 1. I created a root shell (Ubuntu 14.01) and created the following shell
> environment variables using the following script -
>
> #!/bin/sh
> MAYAN_DATABASE_DRIVER=\'django.db.backends.mysql\'
> MAYAN_DATABASE_NAME=\'memorabilia\'
> MAYAN_DATABASE_USER=\'mayan\'
> MAYAN_DATABASE_PASSWORD=\'ooTh7ietieT0aKea\'
> MAYAN_DATABASE_HOST=\'localhost\'
> MAYAN_DATABASE_PORT=\'3306\'
> export MAYAN_DATABASE_DRIVER
> export MAYAN_DATABASE_NAME
> export MAYAN_DATABASE_USER
> export MAYAN_DATABASE_PASSWORD
> export MAYAN_DATABASE_HOST
> export MAYAN_DATABASE_PORT
> echo $MAYAN_DATABASE_DRIVER
> echo $MAYAN_DATABASE_NAME
> echo $MAYAN_DATABASE_USER
> echo $MAYAN_DATABASE_PASSWORD
> echo $MAYAN_DATABASE_HOST
> echo $MAYAN_DATABASE_PORT
>
> The mayan instructions seem to indicate that the shell environment
> variables need to single quotes around them. Is this correct, or are then
> unquoted values? It the single quotes are not needed, I did not get an
> error message about this.
>
> I then followed the instruction referenced above to pull mayan 2.6.1 and
> then run mayan 2.6.1. I was able to access mayan from http://localhost,
> but after looking into the settings.py file for this container, I found
> that it was using sqlite and not mysql as the db backend.
>
> 2. I removed the above container and image and started again. I pulled
> mayan 2.6.1, and created an env.list file as shown in the docker
> instructions for passing environemnt variables to docker:
>
> MAYAN_DATABASE_DRIVER=django.db.backends.mysql
> MAYAN_DATABASE_NAME=memorabilia
> MAYAN_DATABASE_USER=mayan
> MAYAN_DATABASE_PASSWORD=ooTh7ietieT0aKea
> MAYAN_DATABASE_HOST=localhost
> MAYAN_DATABASE_PORT=3306
>
> I then ran mayan 2.6.1 with this command, passing the environment
> variables as shown in the docker user guide
>
> docker run -d --name mayan-edms --restart=always -p 9005:80 --env-file
> ./env.list -v mayan_data:/var/lib/mayan mayanedms/mayanedms:2.6.1
>
> The container never started, or more specifically, it would start and stop
> continuously. I removed the container and image as it was broken.
>
> How do I create a mayan 2.6.1 instance using docker and using mysql as the
> backend database? It does not appear the environment variables are working
> Or I don't understand how to use them!), although the terminology is rather
> confusing. Are they docker environment variables (as in #2 above), or
> environment variables from the shell where docker is run (as in #1 above)?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mark
>
> On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 8:27 PM, Roberto Rosario
> [...]

---