Thanks!!!!!! A great write-up!!! As I was reading through the docker manual
I was beginning to suspect that something was missing, but I found a
partial mysq installation in the container (accessing it through the
shell). But it was only a partial installation, so I tried to repair as was
going to modify the settings.py to use mysql, but then your blog post
arrived.

A couple of warnings from the mysql installation:
* The root password for mysql was not set
* Gtid table is not ready to be used. Table 'mysql.gtid_executed' cannot be
opened.

root@orca:/home/mark/mayan2-docker# docker run -d --name mayan-mysql
--restart=always --env-file env.list -v mayan_mysql:/var/lib/mysql
--net=mayan mysql:latest
Unable to find image 'mysql:latest' locally
latest: Pulling from library/mysql
ad74af05f5a2: Pull complete
0639788facc8: Pull complete
de70fa77eb2b: Pull complete
724179e94999: Pull complete
50c77fb16ba6: Pull complete
d51f459239fb: Pull complete
937bbdd4305a: Pull complete
35369f9634e1: Pull complete
f6016aab25f1: Pull complete
5f1901e920da: Pull complete
fdf808213c5b: Pull complete
Digest: sha256:96edf37370df96d2a4ee1715cc5c7820a0ec6286551a927981ed50f0273d
9b43
root@orca:/home/mark/mayan2-docker# docker logs mayan-mysql
Initializing database
2017-07-27T15:13:35.448969Z 0 [Warning] TIMESTAMP with implicit DEFAULT
value is deprecated. Please use --explicit_defaults_for_timestamp server
option (see documentation for more details).
2017-07-27T15:13:36.931315Z 0 [Warning] InnoDB: New log files created,
LSN=45790
2017-07-27T15:13:37.257390Z 0 [Warning] InnoDB: Creating foreign key
constraint system tables.
2017-07-27T15:13:37.366858Z 0 [Warning] No existing UUID has been found, so
we assume that this is the first time that this server has been started.
Generating a new UUID: 2a28206b-72de-11e7-ad79-0242ac120002.
2017-07-27T15:13:37.399268Z 0 [Warning] Gtid table is not ready to be used.
Table 'mysql.gtid_executed' cannot be opened.
2017-07-27T15:13:37.399779Z 1 [Warning] root@localhost is created with an
empty password ! Please consider switching off the --initialize-insecure
option.

The mayan installation went well - no errors.
root@orca:/home/mark/mayan2-docker# docker run -d --name mayan-edms
--restart=always --env-file env.list -v mayan_data:/var/lib/mayan
--net=mayan -p 9005:80 mayanedms/mayanedms:2.6.4-3
Unable to find image 'mayanedms/mayanedms:2.6.4-3' locally
2.6.4-3: Pulling from mayanedms/mayanedms
e0a742c2abfd: Pull complete
486cb8339a27: Pull complete
dc6f0d824617: Pull complete
4f7a5649a30e: Pull complete
672363445ad2: Pull complete
efb1cec07b5e: Pull complete
a801f5e9adaa: Pull complete
8eb23d7c826c: Pull complete
92fbf659e773: Pull complete
c0f0219c11c6: Pull complete
e77aab94a7a9: Pull complete
4741b155d5ce: Pull complete
cdf3d5b0c8fe: Pull complete
cf2f940f4cc5: Pull complete
a22f7b8219aa: Pull complete
b06c1d87e40c: Pull complete
ba3f50217ec1: Pull complete
427849b0be68: Pull complete
4284e8fc0cb3: Pull complete
99227ced2705: Pull complete
60a3086c3d00: Pull complete
5ce3b814e326: Pull complete
7f69be0f8504: Pull complete
d43efc48a70f: Pull complete
6b060a72026e: Pull complete
c42c5eba1b9b: Pull complete
f195e5af15a9: Pull complete
2b37d227a29d: Pull complete
5113bad4a09d: Pull complete
2ec6a0237cc8: Pull complete
9fd5f74e7daf: Pull complete
68b2e131502b: Pull complete
5f64c354aef1: Pull complete
7a1d9773d33e: Pull complete
bc702ec47793: Pull complete
Digest: sha256:de00429beb8736db87ad41ad1645787e5330beae11aed1479323a79ef40d
1231

Except I don't know the internally generated mayan admin password. The
login screen did not present the admin password at the first login, so I
have no way to login to the mayan installation. The forgot password email
link does not work because there is no email set up for the docker
container. How do I get the password for the mayan admin login?

Thanks!

Mark

---