Pavel Roskin wrote:

> That's true. But I doubt that all gmc users will switch to
> Nautilus. Many users are conservative.

Maybe they should use mc :)

> Last time I checked the site was down. This time it was up.
> First impressions:

> It's very disappointing that they had to fork. Many efforts are
> duplicated.

I'm just very disappointed because like mc it has been a long
time since the last release (6 months ago), and because they
forgot to remove a lot of files and directories that aren't
used by the plain mc. Maybe also because they started with
4.1.35 and not 4.1.36 (why?).

> mc.hlp and mc.1.in are dated May 25, 1998. This means that the
> advanced MC doesn't have it's features properly documented.

Yes, the documentation is outdated, they just added a file in
./. Not to flame mc developers, but the FAQ and other files in
4.5.52 are outdated too :)

> We have too few people who want to test the CVS version of MC.

I like to use CVS and used to use it for mc, but didn't try
since I moved to Slackware 7.1. Do you recommend it? It should
at least build? I run mc as root (no, only mc and kim), and
don't want it messing up my filesystem. If it's stable enough
I'll give a try (otherwise, test as a normal user).

> I have a pretty long list of things that need to be done. I'll
> consider the changes from the Advanced MC, but I'll take them
> with a grain of salt - many of them seem to be just quick
> hacks.

I liked their additions to ftpfs and wildcards in quick cd.

--
0@pervalidus.{net, {dyndns.}org} Tel: 55-21-717-2399 (Niterói-RJ BR)