Hi, Miguel!

On 16 Apr 2001, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > I think it's time to fork. The GNOME edition is in the maintenance phase,
> > preparing to be replaced by Nautilus. It should be frozen, and nobody
> > should chanfge it except for fixing critical issues.
>
> It is not ready for a fork.  And in any case it should be a CVS
> branch.  I would consider a fork when there is any kind of patch that
> shows any kind of major improvement.  I have not seen anything
> remotely interesting to be added to mc recently.
>
> Am I missing some functionality somewhere?

CVS branch should be fine as long as nobody releases new versions from it
without informing [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I agree with your criticism about lack of interesting changes. But
consider those facts:

1) The mailing list address in the README is wrong. Many interesing
submissions may be sent to the old address and bounced.

2) There is a pending patch for codepage switching that doesn't work with
GNOME.

3) The patch for case insensitive search doesn't work with GNOME. I only
applied it because the search didn't work in GMC anyway and because Alt-?
is somewhat hidden from GMC users.

4) The right solution for the sorting problem (strcoll being not
case-sensitive in the en_US local) is to improve the "Sort order" dialog
to have a choice between "case sensitive", "case insensitive" and "locale
default". I don't want to do it for the GNOME frontend - GNOME users may
be confused.

5) Until recently, GMC would ignore the "Auto save setup" setting and save
setup whenever a new window is opened. I think that the new version of
Midnight Commander should use another location for the settings to avoid
them being messed up by the older versions of GMC.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin