Hello!

> > Red Hat's htmlview can be a good starting point, but it doesn't check if
> > KDE is running and it doesn't convert filenames to the "file:" URLs for
> > the browsers that need it.
>
> Why not simply using the $BROWSER environment variable?
> Normally a system correctly configured should use it (as $EDITOR
> etc...).
>
> I realise that it's surely not enough, as it may be undefined, but
> it's IMHO a good starting point, a good way to "choose the best
> browser".

Yes, it's a good starting point.  If $BROWSER is set, it should be assumed
to be correct.

> Also, I think that determining whether "file:" is needed or not is the
> browser job, isn't it?
>
> Konqueror, mozilla, (surely galeon too), dillo, lynx, links do it
> correctly.

If the full path is provided.  There is no way to request in mc.ext full
path to the file and fetching a local copy from VFS in the same time.
This problem has been in the TODO list for some time, and really needs to
be fixed.

I agree, it's better to fix mc than to add the workaround to the browser
wrapper.

> if [ ! "$BROWSER" ]; then
>         if [ "`ps ux | grep kdeinit`" ] ; then

This condition can be met if any KDE program is running, even under GNOME.
We need to search for "kdeinit: kwin" or "kicker" or something like that.

>                         bin_item=`which $item 2>&1`

"which" is non-portable, but it's easy to work around.  And by the way,
$DISPLAY needs to be taken into account.  If it's not set, links, lynx and
w3m should be considered.

> Maybe you can mix htmlview with additional test for KDE.

It's easier to have our own htmlview.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin