On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Mathieu Roy wrote:

> > Yes, it's a good starting point.  If $BROWSER is set, it should be assumed
> > to be correct.
>
> Unfortunately, KDE do not set it naturally and we cannot expect users
> to add an "export BROWSER=konqueror" in their .xsession (or
> assimiliated).

I agreed with you, now you are disagreeing with me :-)

I don't understand your point.  It's precisely because BROWSER is not set
automatically, we can assume that if it's set, it has been set explicitly
by the user.

> Maybe asking to KDE devs to set the BROWSER value at kdeinit would be
> a good idea.

Ask it if you want.  I don't think they will like this idea.  Make sure to
do some research, in particular look at this page:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/BROWSER/

> > This condition can be met if any KDE program is running, even under GNOME.
> > We need to search for "kdeinit: kwin" or "kicker" or something like that.
>
> Maybe kwin can be used with an another environment. But kicker (or
> kdesktop) should run, IMHO, only with a kde session.

Yes, "kdesktop" would we the best.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin