On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, Pavel Tsekov wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, Alessandro Magni wrote:
>> Pity that no chars at all are printed for the graphic chars (yet they are
>> present in the font I use,  -b&h-luxi
>> mono-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-m-0-iso10646-1),
>> but at least mc is usable.
>
> This is because you are not using the right font. xterm-like terminals
> which do no support unicode - I guess Eterm is one of them - expect
> that the glyphs for the line drawing characters are found in cells 0-31.

yes/no: some terminals draw the lines directly:

        modern xterm does (draws lines using X calls)

        kterm draws into bitmaps which are then BLT'd to the display
        (appears it did this before xterm, though I didn't notice)

        MGT copied code from xterm to do this

        gnome-terminal paraphrased the xterm code (no comment ;-)

The last I checked, konsole doesn't.  I seem to recall noticing one of the
rxvt family doing this, though I agree it probably wasn't Eterm.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net