Hello Yury,

On Thu, 5 May 2016 10:35:41 +0200 (CEST) "Yury V. Zaytsev" <y...@shurup.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 5 May 2016, wwp wrote:
>
> > I've added a smbfs link to my hotlist, and now I see a bunch of
> > questions/issues:
>
> Currently, mc's smbfs is currently outdated, insecure and badly broken. At
> some point, Slava undertook a rewrite, but it was never finished, and
> apparently nobody is really interested, so whether it will ever happen is an
> open question, but I wouldn't bet on it.
>
> I would much rather recommend you setting up SMBNetFS, which will resolve all
> the problems you're mentioning, I believe:
>
>      http://askubuntu.com/a/653913

Hah! If I knew it was outdated.. I've set up smbfs mounts through fstab
and autofs for my user so it's not a problem. I liked the idea to have
it from mc itself, like it does for FTP, and I was tempted by it mostly
in order to avoid cifs mount resistance to hibernation and other hang
outs (I re-discover smbfs after few years, I see it's still as slow and
itchy as it was), but it's not critical at all. I'll have a look at
smbnetfs as well, thanks for the tip!

Regards,

--
wwp