> I re-discover smbfs after few years, I see it's still as slow and
> itchy as it was

Yes, the performance and bugginess of Samba / smbfs have not been improving at
all. Which is probably not the developers' fault, but a poorly designed
protocol.

If your setup allows it, you might want to try sshfs. Coming from smbfs, I've
found it to be ridiculously fast and reliable.

There is also mc's internal #sh support:

cd #sh:user@server:/path

You might want to try both (FUSE sshfs and mc #sh) and see which one works best
for you. I tend to use sshfs for local resources, as a replacement for smbfs or
nfs, and #sh for remote resources.

Toby