Imperfect as a color bar or grayscale may be, I would put in an ardent
plea for their inclusion in all digital scans, whether of old rescanned
transparencies or new scans of artworks. I speak on behalf of the
publishers and printers who have been left with no visual cues to guide
color correction on press.

The quality of color printing from digital scans fluctuates wildly
because the skilled eyes of editors and book designers have no guide.
However good the embedded digital information may be, there is no
substitute for looking at a color bar and grayscale to see if the press
proof is running too warm or cold, too contrasty, or too saturated. Not
to mention that digital presses are calibrated as variably as computer
monitors, and most printers use standard settings.

Every art publisher I know is deeply unhappy with the shift from
transparencies to digital scans for this reason. We may love the
financial savings in using digital files of art images at the design and
layout stage, but we have completely lost control of the color process,
and are dependent on the guesswork of printers.

To be clear: The grayscale and color bar are normally not guides for the
printer but for the editor and/or designer who checks the proofs. The
color correction is made by them, and the printer follows those
directions. Printers typically do not consult the color bar or
grayscale, as they use their own standard settings at the proof stage.

Comparison of a color proof with the original artwork is a vanished
concept. Today's production budgets, schedules, and methods have done
away with that step, except perhaps within a museum's own publication
program. The digital scans made of artworks by museums are used not only
internally, but also by myriad outside publishers.

I will dodge the interesting but unresolvable question of what
publishers mean by "accurate" color printing. To quote Justice Potter
Stewart in another context, we know it when we see it.

Regards,
Eve Sinaiko
Director of Publications
College Art Association