Alan:

Yes, I understand.  But the people (taxpayer dollars) won't pay for it, and
neither will a foundation and neither will a donor.

(I'm speaking of here in my part of the world, of course -- but I know I'm not
speaking only for myself.  If you can get a foundation to pay for this, that's
great, and I can only envy you.)

So yes, it's an investment, and not only has to be repaid, but has to bring in
enough new income to prove that the
initial investment was worth it. That's the way our budget priorities work, at
any rate.

Amalyah

?????: ??mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu [mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu] ??? Newman, Alan
[A-Newman at NGA.GOV]
??????: ????? ????? 21 ??? 2009 18:36
????: Museum Computer Network Listserv
??????: Re: [MCN-L] ??RE :  ??RE:  Image Sizes (later Image Theft)

Amalyah,
My point addressed those that were able to get funding for this by any means
and what to do with the system.  If the people or a foundation or a donor
pay $100K for the system this is a gift and does not need to be allocated or
recovered.  If you borrow the money and are expected to repay a debt (this
would be a new idea) you can find a fair way to repay those funds.
Mission determines not only policy but budget priorities.
Alan

On 5/21/09 11:18 AM, "Amalyah Keshet" <akeshet at imj.org.il> wrote:

> Alan:

One thing I've learned in exploring the possibilities for setting up
> an online, download-it-yourself site is that
the cost of maintenance,
> bandwidth, and 24/7 support is not trivial, and there is indeed human service
> involved.  The thing doesn't literally run itself.

And the cost of the
> build is far from trivial - anywhere from $50,000 to $150,00.  I have to pay
> for that with something -- no one's handing us the money to do it. That
> something is going to have to be a revenue stream.  "Mission-driven public
> policy" may make us look in the direction of an online, download-it-yourself
> site, but it isn't going to pay to make it happen.

Amalyah Keshet
Head of
> Image Resources & Copyright Management
The Israel Museum,
> Jerusalem
?????:
> ??mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu [mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu] ??? Newman, Alan
> [A-Newman at NGA.GOV]
??????: ????? ????? 21 ??? 2009 15:17
????: Museum Computer
> Network Listserv
??????: Re: [MCN-L] ??RE:  Image Sizes (later Image
> Theft)

Hi Amalyah,

My point was that after the build the maintenance costs
> are trivial to keep the self-serve part of the system going.
There is only
> automated file delivery and no human service...for that part of the
> program.

The main question, debated here often, is whether this should be
> mission-driven public policy rather than thought off as a crucial revenue
> stream.
In my imaginary proposal you get both.

Alan

-----Original