Apologies for butting in on this very interesting discussion, but the cost of
provision and access of images is close to our hearts at Bridgeman and it is
something we are researching right now under one of our government funded
projects.  I hope it is not inappropriate therefore to present below our
request for input on this from anyone on the listserv who is interested. It is
mainly aimed at our University audience but we would be delighted for anyone
else to participate.  Please feel free to forward on.  Many thanks, Pandora
Mather-Lees.

Call for participants ? short survey into use of image content from Google

Bridgeman Education is currently investigating how images from Wikipedia and
search engines such as Google are retrieved and used for educational use.

At a time when some institutions are calling on staff to remove images taken
off Google from their internal networks, there is increasing awareness of
copyright issues and very opposing views on acceptable use ? particularly at
different levels within the institution.

Our Project team wish to substantiate existing data gained through focus groups
and  would like to hear from the community at all levels ? deans, school and
faculty heads, tutors, curriculum leaders, librarians and of course the
students themselves.

Respondents will only be required to give a short telephone interview or
questionnaire sharing their views on use of images from search engines, quality
of metadata and file size, level of use and attitudes to copyright, plagiarism,
fair use, fair dealing and how they see images used in education in the future.

Bridgeman Education is carrying out this survey as part of a UK government
funded project to research the future of e-learning, technology in education
and the issues associated with providing useful access to learning materials.
For more information on the project see: SILVER (www.silvereducation.org)
Please confirm your interest via the email address below and we will contact
you with further details.

summary of the research will be fed back to and shared with those who have been
kind enough to give their time.  Participants from any institution or country
are welcome.

Please reply to:   pandora.matherlees at bridgemanart.co.uk
www.bridgemaneducation.com