Dear List Members,

I've been overwhelmed by the number of requests that I've received off-list
for our report on museums' online access to collections.  The report will
not be ready until late this year or early next but I thought you might be
interested in some details of our work.  We will definitely announce when it
becomes available on mcn-l.

For those of you who asked for more details about our survey:

Over a 4-year period, we visited each of the AAMD members' sites (plus
another dozen or so or European and non-art museums) each year at the same
time, focusing on how each provided on-line access to their collections.  If
a museum provided on-line access to its collections (surprisingly, an
amazing number of major museums do not), we spent an average of 7 hours
testing and reviewing each element as well as capturing screen images and
annotating these with comments.  We looked at over 50 separate elements.
This meant that each year's survey entailed about 700 hours or more of work
adding in the time to record our findings and mull them over.

We decided on a multi-year approach as museums we contacted at the start of
our survey indicated their sites were in flux.  Additionally, in the first
year of the survey we found that more than 1/2 of the AAMD members' web
sites did not offer any access to collections, not even a "highlights"
display, and we knew this would change over time.

Interestingly, though many changes and upgrades have been made to the AAMD
members' sites over the past 4 years, most of the flaws that were there to
begin with are still there.  This includes sites using the "out of the box"
software provided by cms vendors that dovetails with their systems, as well
as sites that have invested in customized solutions.  For example, if a site
offers the ability to "sort by artist name" on the results of a search, many
sites sort on what we assume is an underlying single field wherein the
artist name is recorded in natural order so that the results not only are
sorted by first name rather than last -- Edgar Degas before Paul Cezanne --
but also "Attributed to Gilbert Stuart" comes up under "A" for Attributed.

A second widespread problem that has persisted over the years is that
museums that provide a "search by keyword" feature are using too many data
fields in their indexing specification with the result that when a user
searches on "Picasso," he/she may get dozens of hits, none of which is by
Picasso or has anything to do with Picasso.  The word "Picasso" does not
appear in the several fields that display for a record making the user
believe he/she has made some sort of an error.  If you dig deep enough,
though, you'll find "Picasso" buried in the description but not relevant to
the object or in bibliographic records, etc.

And don't get me started on the pointlessness (is that a word?) of providing
a user with a "List of Our Artists" and then giving him/her a list of
hundreds of artist names, one to a line, beginning with "C" (and then you
have to return to the first screen to select a different letter) without any
nationality, life dates, or hints of the type of art produced (painting,
sculpture, prints, furniture, etc.) not to mention that when you click on
some of the names, the system returns "0" hits.  Or a "category" pull down
list containing over a hundred categories.  Or a "Help" menu item that pulls
up a 100 page help manual, starting on the first page.  But I digress ....

Another survey currently underway investigates how easy or hard it is for a
visitor to find out key information such as hours, fees, address, phone
number of an institution they wish to visit.  On some AAMD members' sites,
it takes more than 10 minutes to track down this information which ideally
would be on the first screen.  What IS now on a number of first screens
though, is a very noticeable solicitation for donations which we believe
most online visitors find off-putting.  Particularly those online visitors
that have to labor to find out when the museum is open or where it is
located.

Lenore Sarasan
CEO
Willoughby Associates, Limited