tel - 61 2 9217 0109
fax - 61 2 9217 0689
mob - 0413 457 126
e - sebc at phm.gov.au
w - www.powerhousemuseum.com
b - www.powerhousemuseum.com/dmsblog

-----Original Message-----
From: mcn-l-boun...@mcn.edu on behalf of Ari Davidow
Sent: Sun 7/12/2009 1:13 AM
To: Museum Computer Network Listserv
Subject: Re: [MCN-L] Useful website metrics?

Oh, yeah! that's a great article, Seb. Thanks for the reminder.

You'll get no argument from me about the difference in credibility
between GA and log analysis. It may be my lack of time with the tool,
but I haven't found a good way to use GA to track downloads, though.

In our specific case, as an online-only institution, geographic
segmentation hasn't been of much use, other than when we talk with a
funder based in a specific locale, to show that use of our site is
local to them. But we could do much more with segmentation in general.

For social media, we do use some quantitative measures (followers and
fans; comments per post and retweets, referrals back to our home
website), but none of those numbers seem terribly significant so far.
I usually say that's an accurate reflection of the time we put into
using those media.

ari

To post to this list, send messages to: mcn-l at mcn.edu