This is a fascinating thread. What I find hardest to understand is
"why Second Life"?

Is it because it provides a large virtual audience - as different
from a website that provides an audience that already knows the
institution? What about Second Life is preferable than developing
an online presence in one's own web space? What is one getting
that wouldn't be gotten otherwise?

ari