New York, NY 10001
212~217~4547  **  212~217~4561 fax
www.fitnyc.edu/museum

Visit our collections online at fashionmuseum.fitnyc.edu
Find us on Facebook:
Follow us on Twitter @Museumatfit

From: mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu [mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu] on behalf of Bill
Swersey [bswer...@asiasociety.org]
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 11:10 AM
To: mcn-l at mcn.edu
Subject: Re: [MCN-L] Special exhibition websites

For many years Asia Society Museum commissioned a mini-site for nearly every
new exhibition. Originally they were highly customized HTML, sometimes Flash.
Expensive to build, impossible to maintain over time.

About 5 years ago we switched to templated WordPress sites for most exhibitions
- my department (Digital Media for all of Asia Society) worked with the museum
department to streamline the site structure since most sites had similar basic
components (about the exhibition, image gallery, visit info, curator essay,
intro video, etc). Design was usually derived from the catalog and exhibition
design and we typically spent $1500-2500 with a freelancer to customize
WordPress.

The biggest problem with this approach was that these mini-sites were
completely detached from our main Drupal website - the content was not in the
same database, the mini-sites did not offer the same user interface, front-end
features. Keeping dozens of old WordPress sites current (security updates,
standard interface features, etc) was a real chore (and often was not done).

Last year we launched exhibition templates within our Drupal system, so we can
now easily build pages for each new exhibition via our Drupal CMS.  Most of the
work is done my non-technical staff from the museum and time-to-launch has been
significantly decreased. Obviously there have been considerable cost savings.

Current example:
http://asiasociety.org/new-york/exhibitions/artful-recluse-painting-poetry-and-politics-seventeenth-century-china

The biggest downside (at least from some people's perspective) is the lack of a
unique look and feel for each site.  We do allow a "poster" image for each and
also create large custom promotional images for our home pages. Still time/cost
savings, consistency of user interface and the ability for the template to
evolve going forward are very significant.

This solution has also been utilized by our new Hong Kong and Houston, TX
centers which opened in 2012.  Both have exhibition spaces (though they're not
technically "museums").

Our decision to go to a more templated vs. custom mini-site approach was
definitely helped by the Metropolitan Museum's decision to do the same when
they relaunched their site last year.
http://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/current-exhibitions

I should say that from time to time we have had discussions about possibly
building custom mini-sites for major exhibitions in the future if there's a
concept and/or content that the current template cannot support and of course
if funding exists.

...Bill

Bill Swersey | Executive Director, Digital Media & Strategy | Asia Society |
725 Park Avenue New York, NY 10021 |  212-327-9326 |
www.AsiaSociety.org<http://www.AsiaSociety.org/>
Hong Kong | Houston | Los Angeles | Manila | Mumbai | New York | San Francisco

Twitter: @AsiaSociety @Swersey |
facebook.com/asiasociety<http://facebook.com/asiasociety> |
youtube.com/asiasociety<http://youtube.com/asiasociety>

On Mar 9, 2013, at 7:00 AM, <mcn-l-request at mcn.edu<mailto:mcn-l-request at