You need a door for access. Why?

   - What if the content changes? The content always changes.
   - Typos?
   - Hardware failure. We've had several high quality displays fail on us
   one month into a show. We've had several computers fail on us during the
   middle of a show. We haven't had many media players fail on us in the
   middle of a show, but it's happened.

You need a fan or vent for heat. Why?

Here's a little experiment you might consider. Poke a hole in the box the
monitor came in. Run the power and display cable through the hole. Plug
everything in and put the monitor in the box and turn it on. Give it 8
hours and see how hot the box gets. For better instrumentation, put a Hobo
temp logger in the box and check if the monitor is living within it's heat
specs. Run this by your fire marshall.

All of that being said, I think you can make some very discrete and flush
doors for media displays. If you really need the monitor built into a flush
surface with no doors, at least run long cables to it and make the media
player or computer accessible from a doored location. I'd be very worried
about building a monitor and player into a taped off painted wall with no
access.

I love the idea of working to make the media devices disappear from view,
but accessibility for maintenance is an important requirement in this
challenge.

bk

ps - If you do have to make a monitor stick out from the wall more than a
few inches, make sure to add a foot rail so that visitors with canes and
low vision aren't able to run into the protrusion.

bryan kennedy
director, exhibit media
science museum of minnesota
bkennedy at smm.org   651.221.2522