> The bigger the file size (70MB - 250MB is not uncommon) the better. In
> other words, the bigger the file the more information on the object is
> captured. Also, focus on one master format, i.e. TIFF is a very common
> format in this regard (do not compress the files) and if you apply color
> corrections on surrogates of the original scan, place the adjustments on
> layers (yes, TIFF now supports layers), rather than flattening the image
> to save file space.

Tom,

I would recommend against this; I assume you're referring to the layered TIFF
that Photoshop (since v7) will output? These are virtually (if not completely)
unsupported outside of Photoshop in some forms - they do keep a flattened
version of the entire document for apps that don't support layers, but then you
lose the main benefit (the layers)... but in my experience, the main benefit of
layered TIFF from PSD is for using ZIP compression, which can really reduce the
size of a complex layered document, and ZIP compression is also not well
supported.

In general, I wouldn't recommend keeping these as your masters, but they can be
handy. PSD may be significantly larger for an equivalent layered file, but it's
also much better supported, and understood - many folks still don't get that
TIFF allows much more than a simple flat image.

- R

---
You are currently subscribed to mcn_mcn-l as: rlancefi...@mail.wesleyan.edu
leave-mcn_mcn-l-12800...@listserver.americaneagle.com