As part of the Autry National Center's web-site project, we decided to
incorporate an intranet to be used for employees:  job postings,
activities, and the like.  We were also desperately in need of a master
calendar due to many scheduling conflicts.  People were keeping their
personal calendars in Palm Desktop and Lotus Organizer but there was no
master.  Our Education Department was and still is using Vista, and our
P.R. Department was using an Excel Spreadsheet.
We asked the company that designed our web site if it would be possible
to put a master calendar on the intranet portion, and they said yes.  So
we spent several months with them designing what turned out to be a
wonderful master calendar.  We created color-codes for each category:
Operations, Museum Events, Meetings, Outside Events and Exhibits.  Our
calendar has monthly, weekly and daily views with descriptions for each
event.  We assign certain employees admin rights so they can enter the
events and book the areas using drop-down boxes.  It works really well.
We decided to stay with Vista for the School and Docent tours, and
there is even a way in Vista that the Coordinator can export a calendar
into a Word document.  Then we created a space on the master calendar
where she can upload the tour schedules.  It says:  "Click here for
School Tours".  By doing it this way, we avoided cluttering up the main
calendar.  We also did this with our P.R. department and have their
Excel tours viewable in a separate space.
Everyone is extremely happy with this solution.
Regards,

George "Jake" Crossland
I.T. Manager
Autry National Center
4700 Western Heritage Way
Los Angeles, CA 90027
323-667-2000 ext. 247

>>> zen...@healthspacecleveland.org 08/05/05 07:37AM >>>

I am really enjoying the discussion on this topic.  We have also run
into
this problem and had chosen to build our own system from scratch.  This
was
quite the learning experience, and one I would recommend that people
approach with caution.  Our final result has been very pleasing, but
with
any custom built system, there's always more that you want.  Luckily
with
this type of system, you can always make it happen as funds become
available.

Part of the reason we wanted to build our own system was so that we
could
offer it to other institutions to customize for their own needs.  Our
system
tracks all modes of our Education programming (In House, Outreach,
Distance
Learning) as well as our Camps, Facility Rentals, Staff reservations,
and
everything else that requires space, time and people.

My vision was not to offer a turn-key solution, but one that is 90%
complete, where the purchasing institution would work with their own
FileMaker developer to make the necessary changes for their needs.
This
would provide a solid custom-built solution for a fraction of the
cost.

Our system was built in FileMaker Pro 6 (completed just over a year
ago).
Now we are already looking at transitioning it to FileMaker 8 when it
is
released (soon).  It currently does not track donors or members at this
time
(we have another application that does that) though we are looking at
the
potential of integrating it.

If anyone has any questions or would be interested in getting more
information on this system, just let me know.  Attached is a screen
capture
to give you an idea of what our main dashboard looks like (sorry for
the
quality, posts have to be less that 100K).

I will be presenting this system at the NAHEC conference later this
month,
discussing the choice between building or buying a system like this,
and the
positive and negative aspects of both.  If anyone has any thoughts to
add on
this process, I'd love to include them.

Thanks,
Roger

Roger Zender
Director, Information & Learning Technology
zen...@healthspacecleveland.org
216-231-6828
HealthSpace Cleveland
http://www.healthspacecleveland.org
http://www.healthdl.org

> From: Lori Anderson <webmas...@museumca.org>
> Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 14:56:18 -0700
> To: <mcn-l@mcn.edu>
> Subject: Re: Scheduling software
>
> Hi,
> We are also looking at streamlining our events workflow and
scheduling. Have
> any of you used or heard of Net Simplicity? We did a couple of demos
and
> also downloaded it for a trial and I think that although it isn't the
most
> sophisticated software, it still allows for scheduling, hardware and
> staffing allocation, reporting in an easy to use format. We are
poised to
> buy it - does anyone have any experience using this product?
>
> Thanks!
>
> ---------------
> Lori Anderson
> Senior Web Manager
> Oakland Museum of California
> 1000 Oak Street
> Oakland, CA 94607
> 510/637-0176
> webmas...@museumca.org
> http://www.museumca.org
>

> On 8/4/05 2:48 PM, "Matthew P. Stevens" <mstev...@adventuresci.com>
wrote:

>> Janice,
>>
>> We have been using TMVista for over 10 years.  Overall, it has been
a good
>> product for us.  Basic ticketing and scheduling of events works
well.  We
>> sell
>> tickets for general admission, timed tickets for our flight
simulator and
>> planetarium, and manage camp attendance through the front desk and
back
>> office
>> modules.  The stock reports are very limited.  Room booking and
resource
>> tracking are not strong points.
>>
>> We have evaluated and plan to move to Blackbaud Patron's Edge over
the next
>> two years.  By year three, we hope to add the full online
functionality which
>> provides real time ticketing, donation, and membership management.
We have
>> used Blackbaud Raiser's Edge for nearly 10 years.  I highly
recommend
>> Blackbaud.  They are pricey but worth it.  Their software is solid,
but also
>> well supported.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

>> -