As most people will tell you, this is a very “hot” topic.  We have just worked through a situation almost identical to yours.  We have been using ARGUS for years for both CMS and for imaging.  Unfortunately, ARGUS neither allows easy image access, nor does it seem cost effective based on seat licenses.  In addition, we wanted to include non-collection based images.  The other big issue was how to easily allow our users to access these images in a safe manner and still make it easy for curators to get images quickly.  Here is our solution:

The process used for putting images into ARGUS is a very easy one.  So much so, that we did not want to change that portion of our work flow.  In addition, we did not want to have to maintain two databases of identical information and worry about updating and synchronizing.  To this end, we decided to use ARGUS for all collection images and a custom database for no collection.  The non-collection DB uses MySQL since it is free and pretty easy to use.

To unify the two databases, I wrote a few ASP.NET based pages (for our intranet) that query the databases and output XML results.  I then spent some time writing a nice front end application to use those pages.  The end result is an application that I install on all workstations.  It can query both ARGUS and our non-collections DB.  It displays thumbnails which can be added to an image basket.  The basket can be saved as an XML file, or the images can be saved.  The images can be sent as attachments to an email, stored to a folder, or added to a PowerPoint presentation, all through this application.  I should also mention that for each image we have 3 files: an archive quality, a medium res., and a thumbnail.  The images that are generated by the program are resized from the archive when needed.  This allows users to “access” the archive for quality purposes, without actually touching the archive image itself.  Since all of the image manipulation is automated, the curators can select 70 images and have them in a PowerPoint presentation in a few minutes.

As for storage, that is an on-going question.  We currently have a large storage array holding our images.  The array is ~200GB and currently holds roughly 5,000 images with tons of room to spare.  Our archive quality is 8x10 @ 300dpi which makes each image roughly 20megs or less.  We are getting ready to do a full collection inventory which will involve imaging the entire 30,000+ object collection.  We may migrate to a larger store for that.  Obviously, we have these folders secured to prevent any unwanted problems.

For those interested, here is the manual for my imaging front-end, Pic-See: http://www2.chrysler.org/collections/tempimages/manual.pdf

And here is a screenshot: http://www2.chrysler.org/collections/tempimages/sspicsee.jpg

Not to plug my program, but staff here has absolutely loved it.  It has completely changed the way many departments work.  We have also been able to make the full switch away from slide projectors to full digital imaging.  In addition, it is designed to be able to add additional databases should the need arise.  This would allow us to incorporate our library database if they started to image their books, etc.

Please feel free to call me or email me if you have any questions.

Bill Prochazka MCSE, CCNA, CWNA

Technology Manager

Chrysler Museum of Art

Norfolk, VA