Hi Neal,

Smithsonian does include tagging on their collections search:
http://collections.si.edu/search/

They do require approval. Once it does get approved, it becomes part of
the permanent record for the item albeit in a separate User Tag field.

Of course, all the collections on Flickr Commons, and Flickr for that
matter, include tagging. It varies by institution on who pulls those back
and I don¹t have a list of who does what.

There have been discussions about including this activity on the
Smithsonian¹s Transcription Center which is now mainly for primary source
and specimen sheet transcription. Of interest is asking the public to help
with some of the cataloging with established taxonomies, or alternatively,
marking up text for completing record fields. https://transcription.si.edu/

Best,
Effie