> The subject says it all: am I the only person in the world -- or even
> here -- that hates MP3? I mean, yes, it has definite advantages, such as
> trying out music or getting it free by downloading; but I hate having to
> depend on my computer so much. I think that a music medium shouldn't be
> so tied in to computers.

In a small uni bedroom, my computer's always there and always on when I'm
awake. Over the summer I ripped all my (200ish i guess) CDs to MP3 and
burned them onto 20 CD-Rs. Now instead of taking 4 hefty cardboard boxes
with me to uni, I can get it all in one shoebox. Even if I had the time to
put them all on MDs, that'd cost a lot in media and would take up more than
twice the space of the CD-Rs.

Stuff I particulary like I've already put on to MD (got about 25 discs here
at the moment)- any new stuff I download (and like enough) goes on there
too.

> I don't mind MP3 as long as it keeps its place: behind MD and CD.
> Portable MP3 seem stupid to me because ... well, it's tough to explain.
> It just seems so much easier and smarter to just transfer MP3s to MD (or
> CD). To me, that's the only reason it should be used -- and not as a
> stand-alone medium. It's so computer-intensive!

I'm just not organised enough to have time to get a playlist of tracks I
want, re-encode them (my own rips are all at 160 or 192k - too big for a
portable MP3 player), then wait while they transfer to the player. I'd much
rather grab my R55 and a couple of discs and be out the door.

> Does anyone see what I trying to say here?

Kinda, but don't write the format off just because it's of limited use to
you.

--
Simon