Thanks Tom,

>From everything I've read on the web, there appears to be a production
problem in these units.  A small percentage are defective, and
God help you if you buy one abroad.
----
WARNING - DO NOT BUY ANY SHARP GOODS FROM JAPAN!!!
----
I bought one in Japan, but the US won't honour the guarantee.
I think they should put a warning on their web site...
"Don't buy a minidisc abroad, because even if it is
defective we won't care!"

Does anyone on this list know someone sufficiently important in
Sharp to care about this?

Here is what customer support said:

>Dear Mr. Williams :
>The Limited Warranty does not carryover from Country to Country.
>No, the repairs will not be covered under warranty, unless the unit is
>serviced by a Sharp authorized servicer in the Country of Purchase.  You
may
>contact Sharp Japan at WWW.SHARP.CO.JP  for further assistance.
>We apologize for the inconvenience.

Inconvenience!  What an understatement
Of course if you go to www.sharp.co.jp you get a page full of Kanjji

Brian Williams