Dear Paul,

On [EMAIL PROTECTED], J. Coon[SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:

> Your best bet, is to get a recording deck.  You will gain editing
> capability that you don't have with the portable. You willalso be able
> to use the optical out to record digitally from the deck to you 722 and
> get a near perfect copy.

Jim's advice is good, but of course a deck like a Sony 920 would of course
be considerably more expensive than a cheap player.  However if the
requirement for pitch control etc. is unnecessary, a bottom end recording
deck like a Sony 320 may be available for less than the price of the cheap
portable you were asking after.  I recently saw it here in the UK for 79.95
UKP.  the same price as the cheapest player portable I've seen here which
was a Sony MZ-E20 (a very old model).  A deck will of course give you far
more flexibility and if you are using your own first generation discs as a
source gives the capability to make digital copies, which you wouldn't be
able to do with a portable player.

Tony