>I only own a demo pre-rec MD sampler from Sony, so I haven't yet
>compared the sound quality of a pre-rec MD with its CD counterpart, but I
>remember former reports (from people enjoying music, not looking at
>numbers, bits or dBs!) that a particular album from "U2" was noticable
>better in sound quality on a pre-rec DCC tape than on its CD counterpart.
>I think the situation with MD can be similar, but I also think that this
>effect is depending on the type of music, so you don't have a constant sound
>quality using a compression format. That's the difference to PCM audio....

Let me de-lurk here for a moment and ask a totally newbie question:

What is PCM Audio? Isn't it the format that DVDs use for audio?

Also, does anyone know what Super CD and DVD-Audio is? My company
will begin carrying Super CD and DVD-Audio decks in late 99-2000 (I
think). I've heard Super CD and DVD-Audio are supposed to sound much
better than CDs (and MDs, I assume). How is that possible? I thought
the regular CDs sampling rate already picked up every possible
frequency that the human ear can hear. How will these new formats
improve upon the current? And -- most importantly -- will they be
compatible with MDs (no copyright lockout)?

Thanks,

---
Jay in Scottsdale, AZ