At 11:53 PM 7/18/99 EDT, you wrote:

>Can I record digitaly from CDs to MDs useing the digital caoxial out of a
low
>end DVD player, which is intended for Dolby Digital / DTS signal output?

Should be OK. The Pioneer DV-717 I'm getting has associated documentation
that claims it can do this, but I couldn't tell you whether this is a
high-end or a low-end feature. I suspect it's a low-end feature, as it is
painfully simple to implement.

(The cabling would be pretty obscure for a portable MD recorder too... a
single non-RCA coaxial to miniplug!)

But note that you probably won't be able to record digitally from DVD-Video
unless your player can output linear PCM @ 41.1kHz or 48kHz based on the
Dolby or DTS signal. Theoretically possible, although unlikely, especially
for DTS. There are some DVDs with PCM audio on them- these should work OK.

But note that I could be talking crap, as I haven't actually got a DVD
player yet. :-)

P.S. WRT copying DVD-As onto MD digitally, I may have mislead you slightly
in my previous message (entitled "Super Audio CD not so Super for
MDers")... Of course, you will need a recorder that can downsample from the
sample rate it outputs and handle the (possibly increased) number of
channels. And if its the losslessly compressed form of DVD-A, this
compression may also be present in the digital output, which would screw up
any MD recorder not prepared for it.

--
Archer
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/6413/