[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Ralphy wrote:
>
> > AD and DA conversion is NOT taking samples and connecting lines. And
> > that's
> > where you go wrong. It's a mathematical transformation of the signal.
> >
>         I don't think you're right here old lad. The electronic hardware is
> carrying out an APPROXIMATION of the mathematical transformation, or if you
> like, the mathematics describes an abstraction of the physical process. I
> agree, once you are in the digital domain, you can then describe what
> happens exactly with mathematics, but of course, you can't listen to that. A
> 22.05 kHz sinewave WILL come out of the D/A as a square wave (if you
> disregard oversampling, and the D/A slew rate) and needs to be filtered to
> remove harmonics above 22.05 kHz if you want to reconstitute the sinewave.
>
>         barnesy

You're right. The D/A converter -if you disregard the filter- will output a
square-wave. But for me, the electronics are an implementation of a mathematical
tric. This implies that the filtering is part of the D/A stage!

Cheers,
Ralph -> who thinks we're both right...
Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE