It's too bad most mid-level (or any level?) tuners/receivers do not come
with an "output level. "  I remember growing up my father had (and still
does) one of these on his receiver.  Most of the time it was set at the
mid-point, and me, not knowing much about audio, thought "what a pointless
thing!" and of course would always turn the output up to max (along with
the volume :-) )  He is a very avid classical music fan, as well as part
time audiophile, and for classical music, an output level is almost
necessary because all of the very soft passages, along with the loud
passages.

I think todays OEM's do not put an output level because most of the music
put out today is, to some degree, one volume level, and there rarely are
very soft passages, along with very loud passages.  But I think that choice
should left to the consumer -- I can now see the definite advantage of
having an "output level" -- on any piece of audio equipment!

I had a tape deck that always illuminated in green (5 sets of lights),
yellow (2 sets), and red (3 sets).  Back then, I understood from experience
that one's recording was not supposed to go into the red at all, but never
understood why some pre-recorded tapes rarely ventured into the yellow.
(Now I do of course...) This type of 3-tier illumination should be standard
on any piece of analog/digital recording equipment - is there any reason
why most OEMs do not do this?

-sb

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

cc:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bcc: Steven Brooks/HOME_OFF/AGLIFE)
Subject:  Re: MD: I want post recording level adjustment

[snip]

I *wish*!  My Sony CDP-CE505 CD changer's peak search facility never finds
the true digital peak.  Grega Simenc theorized that it samples only a
couple
hundred times per second (should it not sample 44,100 times per second?)
and
someone else told me that the peak search feature is designed for analog
dubbing and it seeks the passage with the loudest average volume over a few
seconds, not the single sample of greatest amplitude.

[snip]