Hello:

Paul McCombs wrote:

> Hello,
>         I know there are a lot of people with a lot of opinions and
knowledge
> about microphones reading this list. I'm considering buying the
> following mic, for use with recording my friends and I as we make
noise
> on to a 4 track tape recorder. I'm considering it due to it's price
> (cheap) and a couple of friends of mine think it's suitable to our
> needs. I'd also like to use it with my mini disc recorder (old
Kenwood,
> Sharp MS-200 clone) which has the standard "plug-in power" stereo
> microphone jack. I understand that quite a bit of adapters would have
> go in-between the mic and the MD recorder.
>         So my questions.
> Do you think this is a good idea?

This particular mic has a very limited frequency response, so it might
not be ideal for your
situation. It is better suited for vocals, not instruments, IMHO.

> What would be the way to hook it up to the MD recorder?

You will need an adapter cable to go from XLR female to a mini phone
plug.

> Do you have better suggestions at this price point ($50 + tax,
shipping,
> adapters) (bearing in mind my main use of it requires that it can be
> conveniently hand held, and have the 3-pin male XLR connector)?

Not really. Unfortunately,  mics that sound really good cost a few more
$$. If you didn't need
it to be handheld,  there would be some better alternatives in this
price range, but this mic
looks like a good value.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/cgi-bin/shop.dll/9906251913199181167224-m3eW112bLR?pid=270210

> Shure BG1.1 Cardioid Mic $49.99
>
> The Shure BG1.1 is a reliable, multi-purpose microphone designed to
> perform in a
> variety of live music, sound reinforcement, and basic recording
> applications. Its
> dynamic cartridge features a smooth frequency response and a neodymium

> magnet for a high output level, while its cardioid pattern ensures
high
> gain-before-feedback, and excellent isolation from undesired sound
> sources. The
> BG1.1’s shock-mounting system, rugged cartridge construction, dent
> resistant
> steel ball grille, and sturdy die-cast handle allow the BG1.1 to
> maintain its
> performance through even the roughest environments. Typical
applications
> for the
> BG1.1 include close-up vocals, instrument pickup, public address, and
> Karaoke.
>
> SPECIFICATIONS
>
> Type: Dynamic
> Frequency Response: 85 to 14,000 Hz
> Polar Pattern: Cardioid (unidirectional), symmetrical about axis
> Output Impedance: Microphone Rated impedance is 150 ohms (180
ohmactual)
> for microphone inputs rated 75 to 300 ohms
> Output Level (at 1,000 Hz): Open Circuit Voltage* . . . . . . . .-
76.5
> dB ( .15mV) Power Level** -55.5 dB: *0 dB = 1 V/microbar **0 dB = 1
> mW/10 microbar
> Polarity: Positive pressure on diaphragm produces positive voltage on
> pin 2 relative to pin 3 of the microphone output connector
> Environmental Conditions: This microphone will operate over a
> temperature range of -29 to 57 degrees C (-20 to 135 degrees F), and
at
> relative humidity of 0 to 95%.
> Switch: Built in On/Off switch
> Connector: 3-pin male XLR connector designed to mate with Cannon XL
> series, Switchcraft A3 (Q.G.) series, or equivalent
> Case: Die cast zinc handle, black matte finish, dent-resistant
wire-mesh
> steel ball grille
> Net Weight: 290 g (10.2 oz)
> Certification: Conforms to European Union directives, eligible to bear

> CE marking; meets European Union EMC Immunity Requirements (EN
50082-1,
> 1992); RF radiated (IEC 801-3); ESD (IEC 801-2); EFT (IEC 801-4)

> Paul McCombs

Best regards,

Chris Carfagno
The Sound Professionals