Steven Brooks wrote,

| I believe I understand how the pitch control works (at least in theory),
| but how does the machine have separate controls for pitch and tempo?  If
| you change one you change the other....

I wish someone else who knows this stuff better than I would explain; all
we've had so far is a post confirming Steven's error, unless there are posts
I haven't received.  So I'll take a stab at it:

In analog storage, pitch is determined by what fraction of a second passes
between oscillations in the waveform, so changing the playback speed alters
both the pitch as well as the tempo.  Some Sony units MD with pitch control
(like the JB920 and the W1) simulate tape by changing both together.

But in digital audio storage, tempo is determined by how many samples there
are between successive downbeats while pitch is determined by a number in the
data for each sample.  They're no more interdependent than, say, tempo and
volume.  The DRE1 keeps them separate; one can alter the tempo to move
smoothly into the beat of the next song without changing the pitch.

Likewise, the double-speed play on some portables does not change the pitch,
and if you make a track play at half-speed by marking stereo material as mono
or at double speed by marking mono material as stereo, you don't change the
pitch.