<<In analog storage, pitch is determined by what fraction of a second passes
between oscillations in the waveform, so changing the playback speed alters
both the pitch as well as the tempo.  Some Sony units MD with pitch control
(like the JB920 and the W1) simulate tape by changing both together.

But in digital audio storage, tempo is determined by how many samples there
are between successive downbeats while pitch is determined by a number in
the
data for each sample.  They're no more interdependent than, say, tempo and
volume.  The DRE1 keeps them separate; one can alter the tempo to move
smoothly into the beat of the next song without changing the pitch.>>

Well, in DJ terminology pitch is the tempo.  I'm sure all the only thing the
MD player does is adjust the tempo of the music, not change the frequency.
However, my guess is that they don't have very good cueing functions, so
they wouldn't even really be very good for mixing music like real DJing CD
players.

Skipp