Scott Wilson wrote,

| Well, in DJ terminology pitch is the tempo.

Sure, because with analog media all you can change is the playback speed,
which affects pitch and tempo proportionately.  But surely everyone here
knows the difference, even those who are disk jockeys.

| I'm sure all the only thing the
| MD player does is adjust the tempo of the music, not change the frequency.

The MDS-W1 (and, per people who own it, the MDS-JB920) changes both.  If
you set pitch control to -50%, the music plays half as fast and one octave
lower.  The MDS-DRE1 can change either or both.

| However, my guess is that they don't have very good cueing functions, so
| they wouldn't even really be very good for mixing music like real DJing CD
| players.

If you're talking about the DRE1, start by reading the manual (available on
the MDCP).  It has a whole array of cuing functions, which, not being a DJ, I
didn't fully understand.  I don't remember seeing mixing functions, though.
If you're talking about home models with pitch control, then you guessed
right: they do not have advanced cuing operations for DJ work.