> Why is that to soft? The soundquality of CD's which are carefully recroded
> and from which the levels never touch or exceed 0dB is usually much greater
> then from CD's which are recroded to and beyond 0dB, thus introducing a fair
> amount of clipping.

Since digital is digital, there is no such thing as recording beyond 0db.  If
the original digital recording recorded analog sources that exceeded the A/D
range, then you will hear digital clipping (harsh noise, unlike analog clipping)
which actually means that the analog input level is too high for the A/D and the
resulting output is simply the maximum value of the A/D.  I can probably safely
say that almost all recording companies take steps to ensure (easy enough) that
there isn't digital clipping.

Now let's assume that CDs are all within the range of the A/D.  Then the
recording level that uses the whole dynamic range will have a better SNR (one
that approaches 0db will have a better SNR than one that only reachs -6db).
Which is useful when recording to analog sources that inherently contain noise.

> When I record to MD from analog sources I never record past -4dB and I try
> to achieve a average recording level of about -12dB.

To maximize the SNR, it is best to set the recording level such that it
approaches 0db, but does not exceed it.  You gain nothing by recording at a
lower recording level, except to account for the poor level/metering abilities
of portables.

Wayne

W. Zhang
Speech and Information Processing Lab, University of Waterloo
519-884-4567x3138/x5228, DC3732

---
Quote of the Day:

    We believe that to err is human.  To blame it on someone else
    is politics.
                        Hubert Humphrey