I'd written,

| I had always heard that it was difficult enough to encode data
| in real time, and that was one of the constraints on ATRAC algorithms in
| real-time recorders.

SSR replied,

> The problem is really one of computational power.  And in the past 5 years
> computing power for a given volume has increased quite a bit more than
> fourfold.

Those increases in computational power have heretofore been dedicated to
improving the bit allocations and sound preservation of ATRAC encoding rather
than to speeding it up.  I'd rather have Sharp ATRAC 6 or Sony ATRAC R in
real time than Sony ATRAC 1.0 at quadruple speed.

And it still won't record a one-hour radio broadcast in fifteen minutes.