From: Richard Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I popped into my local Richer Sounds today, and here's what I found out:
> 1: The 79 pence Hi-Space discs DO NOT EXIST. The cheapest you can buy a
> Hi-Space for is 99pence, as this is just above cost. The voucher printed in
> What Hifi this month is, IMO, not worth the paper it is written on, as
> although it shows a Hi-Space disc, the description says ' Blank MD - Picture
> approximate'
> The 79pence discs are in fact Samsungs, but these will not be in stock until
> the voucher is out of date.......GRRRRRRR...
> ( 20 pence a disc makes a difference when buying 100, and I even rang head
> office to complain. They stick by their 'Picture approximate' get-out
> clause.....)

Well as I said before, I called the Newcastle branch and spoke to Simon (a
quick check on the back of the catalog shows he is the assistant manager)
I found HiSpace74 were UKP1.49 each, and he confirmed they were UKP0.79
with the voucher, limit of 20 and in stock.  I would need the voucher he said
though-- I couldn't just say "I'd like 20 at the What Hi*Fi voucher price".

I'm not sure I could say that anyway as I don't know how to pronounce the "*"
in "What Hi*Fi" :-)

No 80min discs in stock though, come on Arnaud I want fruity 80s :-P

> 2: Richer Sounds WILL continue to stock MD portables, but will have a
> reduced range and *will not* carry any Sharp portable recorder due to the
> large amount of problems with the 701/702 series - being parallel imports
> into the UK the do not have a manufacturers warrenty and so R.S's only MD
> trained service technician ( Leroy at the Stockport branch where I used to
> work ) is overworked.......
> ( I've asked for some ballpark figures as to sales:returns - if I get them
> I'll let you know )
> So lookout for ridiculus prices on anything other than Sony portable MD's
> very soon......
> The range of decks available is unaffected.

Seems Julian is a sensible guy, deciding not to stock dodgy stuff like those
Sharp MD porties.  Stick to Sony I've always said and Julian Richer agrees
it would seem.  Perhaps they'll have a tray full of "crap MD portables" filled
with Sharp porties, rather like the "crap interconnects" tray they have at their
Newcastle branch :-P

Or perhaps he realised most consumers enjoy the increased functionality
Sony units offer through the ES facility (ooops :-)

Cheers,
PrinceGaz -- "Sony portie user, and loving it!"