Replying via md-l in case anyone else has similar worries (or because I
just like to gab).  I could reply direct, but...

My MZ-R3 does that too and always has since buying it over 3 years ago.
According to the manual (which I have temporarily misplaced) mechanical
noise from the unit is normal and is not a sign of malfunction.  I think it also
mentions power-saving as well.

A sort of "quiet click every 2 seconds or so, with very quiet whirring / disk
spinning between alternate clicks" which when I monitored the current
consumption corresponded with the motor running then stopping.  On mono
the clicks were about 4 seconds apart as you would expect from the half-
speed data transfer.

Since the current drain was roughly halved in the motor-off part of the cycle
this meant it drains only 75% (half 50%, half 100%) of what the continuous
motor running would be.  So on my 2AA Nicads I get about 120mins instead
of 90mins, on a good day (650mAH cells).  Superb.

The unit can of course only stop the motor due to having buffered the music
in the anti-shock memory, so if you shake your unit the clicks might stop.  Of
course if you shake it *too* vigorously the unit might stop and it will need a
trip to the repair shop :-P

At least thats what I believe my R3 does, and would really appreciate anyone
else with an R3 confirming this is normal behaviour.  [Hi again, David :-]

Cheers,
PrinceGaz -- "if it harms none, do what you will"

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Website: http://website.lineone.net/~princegaz/
ICQ: 36892193

From: Davez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>