Graham wrote:

| I agree totally.
| I hope it dies a quick and sudden death, along with their recently
| introduced digital8 video format.
| Both this and memory stick are totally incompatible with any other
| manufacturer's products.

Ever considered that mini DV was completely incompatible with the popular
Hi8 format (or even S-VHS-C)?  People with large 8mm/Hi8 libraries were
deterred from buying into mini DV because of the lack of backward
compatibility.   Sony recognised this and have duly delivered.   And very
popular Digital-8 is too  ;-)     I agree with you about the memory stick
though.

| OTOH, if it weren't for the big S we wouldn't have minidisc.....

Exactly, and you'd have to put up with crappy old tapes or cumbersome
discmans.

Regards,

John.