I've been very happy with my MDR-NC10s since I bought them a couple of
years ago. You should note that SONY makes three models of NC phones;
in-the-ear (NC10s), on-the-ear, and over-the-ear....like the great big
AKG circumaural headsets I once used in studio sessions.

The NC10s fit snuggly in the ear and in so doing achieve decent noise
reduction even when turned off! Turning on the active NR system I hear
a white noise "hush" which I personally find to be soothing. I should
also note that the diaphram size in the NC10s is larger than in your
typical earbud. This combined with tight accoustic coupling to the ear
canal make them one of the best headphones I've ever heard. Great low
end but very natural.

Michael
--
Michael Graves                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Graphics Systems Manager             www.interlog.com/~mgraves

"One day in your life shouldn't be a problem"
- 54-40 from One Day