Major misunderstanding here: The fuel pump incident and the flight
director/laser issues are separate. I'm a private pilot and have a good
understanding of many of the flight systems and it makes absolutely no sense
to me!

On the Johannesburg to Cape Town leg of a recent flight to Miami, the pilot
announced that they were having problems with the flight director and would
everyone please turn off ALL electronics, especially computers that
contained CD ROMS. He made a second plea 10 minutes later.

When the pilot informed me about the fuel pump issue he was very grave. I
asked him what Boeing said about the incident and he stated that Boeing
simply said all laser devices must be turned off.  I can also state that SAA
is very serious about the laser issue. At the same time I asked the pilot if
he had any problems with me using a GPS and he said "Absolutely no problem
at all". Later when I was queried by a stew about the GPS her first question
was did it have a cd  or laser in it.

There's clearly something going on here. I remember the first incident
involved a 757 or 767 that "lost it" for a few seconds and that event was
linked to a passenger with a CD player.

The other issue is that it may not be laser light at all, but certain
frequencies or types  of RF that are affecting these systems.

Clearly there is no reason an airline would invest time, effort and money to
enforce a ban on CDs without some justification.

Cya

Bob Denton
Delray Beach, FL