Dave Boulet wrote,

| When making a digital copy to MD
| from a CD, you don't have to worry about adjusting the *recording level*
| because the CD has obviously already been mastered to not go over the "0"
| mark itself, and the musical information is just handed to your MD recorder
| at the same record level.

The problem with digital transfers is that the source can be too soft and
not come near enough to 0 dB.  They are not always mastered properly, and
while they won't need softening they often need boosting.

As far as I'm concerned, a digital recording should be mastered so that the
highest amplitude in the track just hits 0 dB, with one exception: if two or
more tracks form a suite, then the highest amplitude in the suite should just
touch 0 dB.

I have plenty of CDs, especially older ones, where tracks peak around -8 to
-6 dB for no good reason.  Maybe the engineers just didn't feel like finding
the right gain level and set it so low that it couldn't possibly clip.  The
result on a compilation disc is awful: you have to keep adjusting the volume
so that you don't strain to hear too-soft tracks or get your eardrums blasted
when you've turned the volume up for a too-soft track and then a louder one
follows it.