> When digital dubbing, it's important not to record the signal any higher
> than the "0" mark or you'll get clipping and distorion (when making a
> digital recording--analog things like cassette decks let you go over the
"0"
> a tad before you start to hear distortion).
> -dave :)

Whilst I agree with this statement totally, in principle, it does seem that
somehow the Sony engineers have allowed for accidental excursions over the
0dB mark.
My JA3-ES is really quite tolerant of user abuse - it accepts peak signals
of well over 0dB without any discernible playback distortion - this is with
the 'red' flickering on most of the time.
Whilst it is generally best to avoid this kind of recording level, it can
be useful if you intend to play your recordings back on a low output
portable player, using good quality but low sensitivity headphones.
As David Tamkin mentions - many early CD's were set with record levels way
down - one that comes to mind is Dire Straits 'Brothers in Arms' - the
loudest bit of this cd peaks at around -6dB and is in general much lower
than this - far too low to reach a reasonable level from a portable
player.....
Sometimes the old 'analog' way can give better results.
GB