> Besides, if they're talking about replacing an optical block, it would be
> because the block is out of spec and is beyond repair/alignment.
>
> Adios,
> LarZ

Or it could be that that is the easiest way out for Sony - a blanket fix
instead of really diagnosing the problem
My old MZ-R2 was diagnosed by Sony as requiring a new optical block - a
$550 (Aus) repair to a lightly used 18 mth old device.
I declined the repair and spent the $550 on a Sharp 701 (from Nic in
Japan), which (touch wood) still works fine....

Then someone on this list came up with a fix for the MZ-R2 by changing the
focus bias (?) in the firmware. I followed his instructions to the letter
and my MZ-R2 now works perfectly.
So Sony missed out on a nice fat profit from a blanket-fix repair job and I
now have two fully operational portables.....

GB