Ralph wrote:

| f you just press record on the Sharp 702,
| the unit goes into
| record-pause which is in fact a special idle mode. The unit
| does nothing in this
| mode. The disc doesn't spin, the laser doesn't warm up and
| the magnetic head isn't doing anything.

Presumably the unit is still 'monitoring', and passing data through its
buffer so it can gain an instant start without having to wait for the disc
to power up.  If this is the case, then this is very like the situation on
the Sony decks which allows you to have a 'Time Machine' function.  This
leads me to ask why this feature is not more common amongst portables.

Regards,

John,