Graham wrote:

| Sorry John I think you are incorrect with your assumptions re 'time
| machine' function.
| On my JA3 it only works whilst it is in 'record-standby' mode.
| In this model and  AFAIK, all Sony home decks, the laser is
| powered up and
| the disc spinning, unlike the 701, where nothing other than the record
| buffer is running ie no disc spin or laser power.
| Why they do it this way I don't know.
| I agree that it would be very easy to have the 'time machine'
| function in
| the portables and if it was implemented as per Sharp's
| 'rec-pause' mode and
| not like the Sony home deck TM mode it would work very well, and much
| longer than the Sony two or six second start we have now...
| GB

I believe that Sony decks after, and including, the 920 differ from older
units in this respect.    In my 920, TM recording is also done from the
'Record-standby' mode (you press the AMS knob to initiate it).  The MDCP
page for this model says "Unit does not spin the disc in record-pause mode
(as the JE500 and JE510 do). "    I'm pretty certain this information is
accurate because when you start TM, it is accompanied by a very slight
'knock' which I assume is the disc spinning up and/or the recording head
moving to the disc surface.  This does not occur in my 510.

Regards,

John.